Adding a Page
Click "Add a Page" in the Manage Pages screen. An edit screen will open, showing the fields necessary to create a Mainspring web page. A description of each field follows:
- Title is the name of the page. It is used to construct a system filename for the page's data file and the page's URL. The title is also used as the link for the page, and the page's header.
- Content is where the text for the page is entered. You can create paragraphs by placing a blank line between each paragraph.
- Keywords are used for searching the website. Keywords or key phrases should be separated by commas.
- Page Image determines whether or not the current page will show a picture. If Display is set to Yes, Mainspring will attempt to find the image associated with the page when the page is displayed. The box to the right of Show Image indicates which image will be uploaded to the server. The Align option determines which side of the screen the image is displayed on.
- Parent Page determines which previously-existing page or pages will contain a navigation link to the current page. You may select a single page, or ALL PAGES (which will place a link to the current page on every page on the site).
If you select NONE for the Parent Page value, the page will be an "Orphan". This means that the link for this page will not appear on any other page. This might seem silly at first, but there are several reasons why you might wish to have an Orphan page. You might want to save a page in progress without posting it to the main site, with the intention of linking the page to the site later; you may wish to create a "secret" section of the site that only people who know the direct URL can visit; or, you may wish to create or edit error pages or other messages that are called directly by the web server.
If you click the "Show Advanced Options" button at the top of the screen, a box with several more options shows up.
- Page Style: Mainspring allows the possibility for using multiple page templates in a site. In most cases, only one template (default) will be available.
- Use Parent's Sub-navigation: When Mainspring builds a web site from your data, it creates two types of navigation areas for each page; Main navigation consists of links to all pages whose Parent Page is set to "ALL PAGES" and Sub navigation consists of links to all other pages. When Use Parent's Navigation is set to "YES", the Sub navigation links of the Parent Page are copied to this page, and will be displayed below other Sub navigation links. This option is set to "YES" bydefault.
- Use Altnernate Sub-navigation: This option tells Mainspring to put sub-navigation links from this page into a special list. The actual behavior of the alternate subnavigation is defined by the template in use.
- Redirect to URL allows this page to go directly to a URL specified in this field. If a page is redirected, the Content field is ignored.
- Documents settings determine how documents are sorted and which window they open in. See Managing Documents for more information.